Education and Outreach
Pillars Community Health is available to provide educational presentations in the community.
Part of our philosophy is to build healthier communities through quality education for people of all ages. To that end, Pillars Community Health regularly presents to and attends outreach events in the community and consults to the community on a variety of topics.
Prenatal classes are offered by Health Center nurses. The topics include nutrition, exercise, and what to expect during and after your pregnancy. There are four classes a month for the first trimester, second trimester, third trimester, and post-partum. Classes and resources provided are offered in both English and Spanish. For more information, please call 708-352-0081, and ask to speak with a nurse.
Nutrition classes are offered throughout the year. Our nutritionists offer both one-on-one sessions and group classes in both English and Spanish. Classes are offered on Hypertension, Diabetes, Cholesterol and Triglycerides, and Balanced Meals for Kids. If you are interested in learning more, please call us at (708) 352-0081.
Book a Presentation
Staff are available throughout the year to attend resource fairs or provide these presentations at no cost. If you lead or belong to a group that could benefit from one of these presentations, please contact Pillars Community Health at 708.PILLARS (708.745.5277) for more information. Ask for “Marketing” when you call.
- Domestic Violence: Pillars Community Health regularly provides domestic violence outreach. Presentations include “Healthy Teen Relationships,” “Domestic Violence in the Workplace,” and “Smack’d” (separate presentations available for teens and adults). “Smack’d” involves a staff member and a domestic violence survivor discussing the issue; this presentation is regularly provided to hospitals, schools, and churches, among other venues.
- Sexual Assault: Pillars Community Health is available to present on topics such as “Sexual Health,” “Stop Porn Culture,” “Stalking Awareness,” “Sexual Assault Awareness,” and “Child Abuse Awareness.”
- Mental Illness: Pillars Community Health is available to present “Erase Crazy,” which promotes anti-stigma as it relates to mental health. Find additional presentations in the next section below.
- Childhood Grief: Our Buddy’s Place team is available to make presentations regarding childhood grief.
- Getting Involved With Our Mission: Learn more about our mission and how you and your group can help.
Additional Prevention and Education
For more information about prevention and education programs, please contact Pillars Community Health at 708.PILLARS (708.745.5277) for more information.
- Parent Support: Pillars Community Health offers monthly Parent Cafes, free groups that address topics from bullying to potty training for parents in Lyons Township. Learn more on our Child and Family Development Center page.
- Mental Health Prevention: Pillars Community Health provides mental health prevention services for children ages 0-8 including parenting groups/workshops (topics such as positive discipline, parenting stress, and bullying), assessments, and home-based therapy. The services are exclusively provided to children in Lyons Township.
- Mental Health First Aid: Two of our staff members are certified to provide free Mental Health First Aid trainings. Trainings are currently being co-coordinated by NAMI DuPage and NAMI Metro Suburban. Click here to learn more about Mental Health First Aid or click here to find a calendar of upcoming trainings.
- Other Mental Health Topics: The Community Wellness Center in La Grange offers free mental health and wellness education each month. Click here for a calendar of upcoming classes.