Pillars Community Health offers a bereavement support program for children, teens, and their families.
Buddy’s Place is our childhood grief program, which offers family-based support groups to grieving children, teens, and their families. Buddy’s Place is committed to providing a safe, accepting, and supportive environment where each family can come and express their grief and connect with others in a group setting. There is no charge to attend the programs offered by Buddy’s Place.
Since 2000, Buddy’s Place bereavement program has offered family-based support groups to children and teens ages 4-18 and their families who are grieving the death of someone significant in their lives. Services include:
- Monthly Support Groups: The Buddy’s Place Monthly Gathering group meets on the second Monday of each month to share a meal and complete a creative, grief-related project.
- 8-Week Session: Buddy’s Place offers an 8-week support group each spring and fall. While children and teens engage in goal-oriented activities that are age-appropriate, parents and caregivers participate in a group focused on understanding children’s grief and how to better help the children work through it.
- Counseling: Pillars Community Health clinical staff are also available to provide individual and family counseling for people of all ages who are grieving a death.
As there is no limit to grief, families may take advantage of the program whenever they need it. Sessions are held in Western Springs.
Learn more about Buddy’s Place initiatives in the Buddy’s Place newsletter.
Support Children Through Their Grief
- Donate: Buddy’s Place services are free of charge thanks to the support of the Lyons Township Mental Health Commission and gifts from individuals, churches, foundations, clubs, organizations, and businesses. Please consider giving a tax-deductible donation to Buddy’s Place today.
- Volunteer: Volunteers participate in training to help grieving children, teens, and their families in a variety of ways, including Greeter, Group Facilitator, and Childcare through Buddy’s Place, our bereavement program. Programs take place on Monday and Tuesday evenings so it is important for volunteers to have availability at those times. Check our calendar for upcoming dates or fill out the volunteer application to show interest.
Resources Related to Grief